Tuesday, July 17, 2012

The Three Week Itch



Everyone is really starting to itch for Liverpool.  We’ve been passing up and down the channel between Ireland and England/Scotland all day, doing loops just north of Scotland and biding our time until we’re ready to head back for Liverpool – we must have student drivers at the wheel with all these donuts we're doing!  There were three rounds of quizzes/tests today, and I think the cadets are just getting over the shock of it all this evening.  The map and guide to Liverpool have been going like hotcakes, and everyone appreciated having new news articles this afternoon after a weekend hiatus.

In talking with one of the commanding officers (Yesko), I learned a little more ship lingo today – especially as it pertains to the library.  See, on ships, nearly everything gets a nickname or new name entirely once it comes on board; ropes become line, floors become soles, the ceiling is called the overhead, bathrooms are heads, the kitchen is the galley, and so forth.  Same thing goes for people, or rather, their titles or duties on ship.  In tradition, I am told, the cook is affectionately known as “Cookie,” the radio operator is called “Sparks,” and the librarian (yes, we were at sea even in olde times) becomes “Books.”  I think the new nickname suits me quite well!

Signing off,
Books

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Books, (I like that too!)
I love your blogs! Thank you for making them detailed, interesting and often! I learn so much from them!
Sincerely,
Ann Marie Maud
Mother of 2C Engineer Brian Maud

Anonymous said...

Liz - really enjoying your posts filled with facts and humor...sounds like your having a great time and enjoying this adventure. From a parents point of view, updates about the cadets life on/off the ship, from an "observer" standpoint makes the cruise more interactive for us. My son is not a library attendee, but hard at work in the engine room, trying to survive his 90 days. I have to say the best librarians during his 3 cruised were his first 45 days Mug year and yourself.
Thanks, Carol Knowlton

YFLC said...

Books! I like it. Sounds like they may have been doing man overboard drills with all the loops. Also, from my understanding: a rope is a long continuous coil and once a length of it is cut off to be used it becomes a line.