Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Another Day, Another Drill

Good evening, all, Just one more day til Gibraltar, so here's what's new on the TSES! There was another fire drill today – the alarm sounds, life jackets are in hand, and the ship becomes alive with the scurry of cadets racing for their muster stations. Routine continues to be a fleeting concept when faced with new additions to each day’s daily plan! During the fire drill today, I was requested to show instructional videos on the proper deployment of a lifeboat/liferaft in the even of an emergency. I was assigned Liferaft 8 this week, which was comprised of two officers and about 40 cadets, and I’ll continue to show these videos over the next seven sessions of drills to the rest of the lifeboats. I think I’m going to know more about lifeboats/rafts than I will ever need to know by the end of cruise! And I definitely do NOT remember covering this in library school. Tonight’s shout out comes from Cadet Peter Forgione, who knows his mom is reading this and says, “Hi Mom, don’t worry – I’m thinking about you!” Many thanks to my readers, mflc (class of 2008) and bugzie365, for your comments, support, and inspiration! It’s so great to hear from the shoreside world.

 [On a personal note, I’d like to wish my Grandma Emma a very happy 91st birthday today, and a BIG congratulations to my cousin Nick and his wife, Danielle, who welcomed baby Nicholas Ian into the world this morning!]

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Continued THANKS, Ms. Liz, for keeping all of us parents out here up to date!!! Congratulations on the publication of your article!!! You will be able to publish another one on Lifeboats, etc., when the cruise is over! Have a GREAT time in Gibraltar :-)Am looking forward to seeing the pictures you post [if and when!] Smooth Sailing, and hugs and kisses to Cadet Sara B. from her mama!!!

Anonymous said...

I am sure you will learn a lot more that they did not teach you in Library School! I think we all look upon SST as an experience our Cadets will never forget! They don't realize it now as much as their parents do, but they will look back someday and realize what a wonderful experience it was. I have a graduate who is already saying he misses the ship. The same ship he used to complain about! Keep the info coming. I make copies of it all and put it in a scrapbook for my cadet who is on the ship now so he can reflect on it one day when he realizes just how lucky he is.

Anonymous said...

Enjoy reading all the up dates, Keep up the interesting work, Valerie Potts , Cadet 3C Barry Potts , Mom

Anonymous said...

Cadet Forgione was right. His mother has been reading and what a great shout out. We have throughly enjoyed all of your posts and we thank you liz for keeping us all informed.