Thursday, July 19, 2012

Snack O'Clock


Same old news aboard the TSES… we’re still near Scotland, and cadets are still studying into the wee hours for Rules of the Road tomorrow.

We are officially back into the swing of things with classes, exams, and, of course, a fine array of dining options and desserts, I’ve noticed something interesting in the evening hours.   It is well known that at about 2050, there is a “snack bar”that opens in the mess deck for cadets studying or working into the late hours of the evening.  (Don’t worry – we officers get our own up in the officer’s mess for those of us coming off or going on watch!)  Usually there is any combination of pizza, pretzels, nachos, and popcorn.  Word is that we go through 78 pizzas per night!

So anyway, back to the library… In the middle of study sessions every so often, I’ve heard what sounds like a cell phone going off.  Now of course, being somewhere in these roundabouts near Scotland, not to mention about three flights down from Main Deck, there should be no reception for such technologies.  But for some reason, every night at 2050 around this one particular table, a phone definitely rings.  I asked the students tonight, “So you really get reception out here?”  And his answer? “Oh! It’s not ringing – it’s just my alarm for snack time!”  Touche.

From the other side of the room, we have a shout out tonight from Ariel Beebe, who says “Hi Mama Wilson!”

For Responses to Blog:
Many thanks, Carol and Ann Marie!  I will certainly look out for your cadets, and thank them for all their hard work!  I’ll say hi for you too

To Bob Fey, Dengel wants me to say: “Bob, you better retire soon, because you’ll be coming aboard with the rest of us!”  Such a charmer, that Brian!

--Books--

3 comments:

YFLC said...

So are you going to celebrate your birthday in Liverpool? That would be so awesome. Wish I could be there with you! Also, I believe snack time (aka "mid-rats" short for midnight rations) has improved. We just had sandwich fixings laid out. Pb&j on toast was a popular choice given our options...

Anonymous said...

Hi Liz..thanks again for your wonderful blogs I really do look forward to your adventures! As MUG mom it is reassuring & I am so impressed at all the hard work & activities ....opportunities of a lifetime. Must give a BIG shout out to our MUG Lou DiTommaso who will be celebrating his birthday tomorrow...so proud! Enjoy Liverpool. Thanks again :)

Anonymous said...

Hey, 'Books'!! [aka,Liz!]
Wow!!! I just got caught up on the blog...THANK YOU once again for your great updates! Sara has been great on getting emails out pretty often, but it is sooooo nice to get a 'well rounded' version! I [personally] am extremely happy that you are there with the library! My mom [sara's grandma] was a librarian, and I spent many, many hours in the library every summer working at the school library!! Look forward to hearing about the rest of the cruise as well as your adventures in Liverpool!! Definitely start playing Beatles music to get them in the mood :-) Cheerio!! Laurie B. [Oh....and, hugs and kisses to Sara, and my adopted boys, Vann and Phillip!!! xoxoxo]