Thursday, May 26, 2011

Starbucks, Danish Style

My cell phone is now a brick, well at least until TMobile unlocks it. Seems there was a little confusion on its being prepared for international sim cards. To their credit, TMobile locked the phone after the international sim card tried to launch. I like TMobile and their customer service, I just wish we had been on the same page. Anyway, we found several pay phones that take American credit cards, which is a miracle within a miracle. The Danes love their cell phones and like the USA, pay phones are almost extinct, but we did find some at the public library and the train station. Europeans have embraced smart cards and hardly ever use magnetic strip cards. So paying at a store with an American style credit card just isn't going to happen. In theory it should be possible to pay with it, but just stop and think how much trouble processing the occasional exception is for a merchant and all the trouble keeping counter help trained. My debit card works at the bank ATM and I assume the same is true for the cadets.

As I write this, I am sitting upstairs at the Aalborg equivalent of a Starbucks enjoying a cafe mocha that is a universe better than anything back home. Now, as I look out the window, sip my cafe mocha and surf the net, I can spot our cadets about a mile off (I have good eyes). Sometimes it’s a hat, or a jacket, or that they are in a group that sets them apart. But, mostly it's the look of bemused curiosity on their faces, wide smiles and a certain step that tells me they’re ours. If all else fails look for the backpack and the American style shoes!

Being a librarian, I HAVE to go to the local library. The Aalborg public library is just your average Danish library which puts the vast majority of US public libraries to shame. They are simply amazing. In fact, I'm going over to the library in a few minutes to upload these blog posts and send a few pictures with a promise of more to come.

Aalborg is the kind of town you think you can see in a day, but you could spend a year here and only hit the high points. The people are very friendly and happy. Remind me to tell you about the bicycles in the next blog.

No comments: