Monday, May 16, 2011

Crossing the Atlantic

Since the rough seas life aboard has settled into normalcy. My day has become a tight circle of the library, officer’s mess, and my stateroom. When I have time, I visit the regimental office, sickbay, and the cadet mess.

The cadets stay very busy with their class, watches, and studying. The studying I directly witness at the Library is near full each evening with members of our community coming and staying. Mostly, the cadets’ time on Empire State VI is a practical experience of being a deck or engineering watch officer in training. I should stress the word practical. This is the time where you step out of the books and do something with it. Figuring a vector plot in your dorm room is a lot different than doing one in a chart room at night under red lights on a tossing ship.

On Sunday, May 15, I experienced my first steel beach picnic in sixteen years. Around here they call it “BBQ at Sea.” It is a great tool for morale. It gives those not on watches a chance to kick back for a few hours, and enjoy the sun with as many burgers, dogs, and ice cream as they can eat. It's just a couple of hours, but it is appreciated by all hands.

The food aboard is excellent but very dangerous. There are "fat pills" sitting on the side board this morning with frosting and sprinkles. They keep calling my name, but so far I've resisted their call. The food has been beyond good and so far I've been fortunate not to have gained any pounds around my waist. I have been trying to fit a workout into my schedule, but so far I've kept myself busy in the Library.

The Library is busy in the evening with students doing their homework or using the PCs. At times every chair is taken and table space is at a premium. The engineering students in particular like to use the large, slanted atlas tables to do work on their technical drawings. Also, we have all been sending emails out to family and friends, but there appears to be some small glitches with certain addresses; please be patient as we sort out this new email program.

Locally, we are seeing some dolphins and bits of Sargasso seaweed. We are running along the edge of the Gulf Current and making about 17 knots. I miss seeing albatross, but unfortunately those are more native to the Pacific. Otherwise not much else in the way of pelagic birds this far out.

That's all for now,

Mike

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you for your wonderful post. I understand how busy everyone is and I very much appreciate you taking the time to write your updates when you can.
Bonnie Haas

Anonymous said...

Just want to say how enjoyable your blog is for all of us! You are a skilled writter and give us a picture of what is happening aboard the TS Empire State-Thank you! Any possibility of adding some pictures?
Diane Bianculli

Anonymous said...

Librarian Alert! That's what we post in our chat room every time a blog entry is posted. So, keep them coming as often as you can and make'm a little salty. We can handle it.

Stephen B. Luce Library said...

We are so glad you're receiving and sharing our Librarian's posts during his time at sea! Unfortunately, Mike (like the rest of the crew) is not allowed to send attachments or large emails with imbedded photos due to limitations on shipboard technology, so we are waiting with baited breath for pictures. If he is able to, pictures may be sent from perhaps an internet cafe or the like - if one is available, and there is time - once the ship reaches port. We are looking forward to sharing his pictures as well!

Sandy (Abramovich) Smith said...

Thanks for your posts ~ my dad is aboard ship and among those responsible for adding to your daily culinary temptations. :) We don't get to hear much from him until he checks in on land, so I love reading your posts. Keep up the great work and enjoy those wonderful meals!