Monday, May 23, 2011

Land Ho!

The cadets are hard at work researching Marine Firefighting and Lifesaving Systems this week. They devour the Combined Federal Registers (CFR’s) and the Ship’s Library Reference Collection, puzzling over regulations. Perhaps this assignment explains why I haven’t seen the students lately, who were bringing one of the air hockey tables back to life. I'm not sure if they were successful, but they made their own puck and repaired the handles. That said, while the table is right outside the library, I probably would not have heard them playing anyway; such is the cacophony aboard EMPIRE STATE VI.

The ship is getting a “field day” (or a “makeover” in layman’s terms). Passageways are blocked as decks are stripped and waxed, trunks (stairways) cleaned, treads wire-brushed, and berthing areas and classrooms tidied up too. All the while ship watches, maintenance, and cadet training continue in perpetuity; no steel deck picnic this week, but a BBQ dinner for the cadets and a few hours relaxation in the sun as we head into the English Channel. Some of us with cell phones managed a moment’s respite from this monastic existence as we passed close enough to shore to pick up reception. I, however, was disappointed to see "emergency use only" flash on my screen. I plan to invest in an international throw-away when we get to Denmark.

As we move into the North Sea, we can see oil platforms all around us. It's a busy time on the bridge. Cadets navigating and on lookout have to contend not only with the platforms, but increased ship traffic and fishing boats. These smaller vessels don't always show up on the radar, making a vigilant lookout all the more essential. Thankfully the skies have been clear both day and night, allowing the cadets to practice their celestial navigation.

Finally, email has been slow for me. I haven't got anything in or out, I believe, since Thursday and nothing from home in a week. I know that my wife Chris is reading these—so Hello, Chris. I love you!

All for now,

Mike

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

5/23/2011 After logging on to Chatzy.com/SST, I started my search for webcams along the shoreline of Vlieland. I happened upon a Broadband transmission between the Empire State and the Dutch Wadden Sea island Terschelling receiver. What a surprise! Sounding good TSES

Anonymous said...

It's great to read another of your wonderful updates. It must have been so difficult for families waiting to hear from their loved ones before there were computers and satellites.Everyone have fun in Denmark, but be safe and keep your wits about you. Take lots of pictures.

Anonymous said...

While we enjoy photos of the scenery, candid shots of the cadets both on deck and in the engine room would be much appreciated and a wonderful accompaniment to your blogs. (once you get to an internet cafe) Even if I don't see my cadet, any shot of a smiling cadet will be a site for sore eyes! Thank you!

Stephen B. Luce Library said...

We are looking forward to seeing some pictures as well once the TSES reaches land, or after the switch out when Mike comes back to NY. Until then, all of your warm wishes, thoughts, and requests are being shared with Mike just as his observations are shared with you. Keep the comments coming! :)