Friday, August 3, 2012

Overheard in the Library


“I have so much to study for I don’t know where to start studying!” – a good-spirited library visitor to his friends at the next table over

We’ve hardly had a minute to think straight today, let alone study.  From the start of the day we realized that we’ve made incredible headway into warmer weather – no more jackets for this crew!  I’ve heard tales of the heat wave that’s hit shore over the past month; I think we must be heading straight into an arm of it out here.  We ducked south a bit further to avoid a low front (aka, seasick weather) and still plan to cut back over to N.Y. around Saturday, for those of you following along at home.  It’s almost nice enough weather to throw on some sunscreen.

Cadets who were focused enough today to come into the library to study did so piecemeal, unfortunately.  Not only was today our final safety drill, but also a dress inspection ahead of Monday.  Today’s drill was the security drill, which would prepare us in the event of a hijacking or some related hostage situation; basically, for the majority, our instructions are “Go to room – lock door.”  However, a few lucky ones are part of the security team, manned with fire hoses to ward off any potential borders (and reportedly a potato gun, compliments of the Engineering Department).  I, for one, feel safer now that I know we have such a complete arsenal aboard.  Wish I had brought my marshmallow shooter or my rubberband gun…

No comments: