Monday, June 13, 2011

Riga

June 11 2011

The Empire State VI is making the last leg of its passage to Gdynia, Poland from Riga, Latvia and we should tie up sometime tomorrow.

Riga was a blast! There was lots to do, places to see, and activities to participate in. There were several tours, but the most favorite was a tie between the bicycle trip and a wilderness park adventure from the oohs and aahs I heard. Personally, I only made the foot tour of the Art Nouveau district.

I did visit the National Library of Latvia which is currently being built. It's huge! One of its several complete buildings is the Art Nouveau style and I got to walk around inside and admire the chestnut moldings, columns, and plaster fittings. My need for some green was satisfied by Riga's extensive inner city parks and canal system. Not one big park mind you, but lots of medium sized parks with neighborhoods built around them flowing together Although Riga is a city of 1.2 million, it feels like a city of neighborhoods - a lot like my Philadelphia (but a whole lot cleaner).

No comments: